Expert Advice

Wilsons Solicitors work daily for individuals, families and business to get the help they need.


If you are unhappy about the quality of service provided, then please ask the problem to be taken up with the Solicitor who has been dealing with your case. If you are still not satisfied you may take the case up with Howard J. Wilson or Laurence Wilson. We are more than happy to give you the full details of our complaint’s procedure

If your complaint is not resolved satisfactorily you may refer the problem to the Legal Ombudsman at PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ, telephone 0300 555 0333 or website for full information.